The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless.
This literacy program is based on a simple but powerful fact: children who are read to at home are better prepared for school and continue to do well throughout their time in school. Kids who are read only one book a day will hear about 290,000 more words by age 5 than those who don’t regularly read with a parent or caregiver.
This program is for children from ages 0-5 who have not started kindergarten.
How Parents Can Sign-up:
- Download the Beanstack app on your mobile device or on sign-up on desktop.
- If you are a new user, create an account and set Three Rivers Public Library District as your library.
- Create a profile for your child. Then, on your chlid's profile, go to Challenges and click Join for 1000 Books Before Kindergarten.
How the program works:
- Log the books you read to and with your child in Beanstack. Every book counts, including audiobooks, digital books, or books read aloud by others. You can even log each time you re-read a favorite book!
- For every 100 books read, your child will earn a badge in Beanstack.
- When you reach 1000 books, contact our Youth Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll send you info on how to claim a special prize pack, book and certificate of completion for your child!
Tips for reading fun:
- Make it exciting! Try using different voices for characters or giving inflection when there is an action happening.
- Make your own milestone rewards. Our program gives virtual badges for every 100 books read. For extra encouragement, you can find fun ways to reward your child, such as stickers or an extra trip to the playground!
- Need help finding more books to read? Stop in at your library to ask for reccomendations or check out this 1KBBK recommended reading list available here!